Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Bake
Black Bean and Quinoa Enchilada Bake combines classic enchilada ingredients, like black beans and onions, to create a healthier Mexican favorite that packs a lot of punch.
BLACK BEAN QUINOA ENCHILADA BAKE
I LOVE Mexican food. I love its versatility and unlimited potential, which is why I was thrilled when my grandma sent me this recipe. She said “you HAVE to try this! It is delicious and you can feel good about eating it”. The quinoa is fluffy and airy. The black beans, peppers and onions add great texture and the blend of the jalapeno and spices just puts it over the top!
There are two main things I love about this recipe: it is very simple to make and you can literally eat it however you want. I love eating this as a dip with tortilla chips. You can also put the filling into tortillas with the cheese, pour another can of enchilada sauce over the top and BAM you have Black Bean and Quinoa Enchiladas. Or you could put some on top of a bed of leafy greens, topped off with some avocado and sour cream and BAM you have Black Bean and Quinoa Salad. Like I said UNLIMITED potential. It also reheats well, so you can make it ahead of time for lunches!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 each yellow and orange pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder (I recommend Ancho chili powder)
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Bring water to a boil, stir in quinoa, turn down the heat, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 12-15 minutes
- As the quinoa is cooking, brown the ground beef with the onion, garlic, jalapeño and peppers until beef is done and veggies are soft
- When the beef mixture is done, mix into it the black beans, quinoa, chili powder, lime juice, cumin, and salt and pepper
- Transfer to a casserole dish
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the mixture, then cover with the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes