These blueberry muffins are the perfect way to start your day! They are packed full of sweet blueberries and are jumbo, so one will keep you full for the whole morning!
(This post contains affiliate links)
Blueberry muffins are one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast, especially ones that are made at home! I love the juicy and fresh taste of these blueberry muffins when they come right out of the oven, still a little warm with bursts of sweet blueberry goodness coming right at ya! This blueberry muffin recipe came from my husband’s grandfather. He passed away years ago, but from all the stories I’ve heard, he was a great baker! He worked in a bakery for years and I was very excited and honored that his grandmother gave me this recipe to share with all of you!
Aside from the big bursts of blueberries, the best part about this recipe is that it makes 6 jumbo blueberry muffins. I don’t know about you, but I think that everything tastes better in a jumbo size! 😊
Of course, you could always make them as regular sized muffin. They would still taste wonderful and would feed more kids/coworkers/guests.
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
The muffins: I make these as jumbo muffins with my jumbo muffin tin. It gives the blueberries room to burst inside the muffin, without making the muffins too moist.
Blueberries: I’ve only ever used fresh blueberries for these muffins, so I would suggest using fresh. You could also try variations of this recipe and use different berries, like strawberries or cranberries.
Bake and freeze: You can bake these muffins, let them cool then freeze them for breakfast for other days of the week! Just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, then in a ziplock baggie then pop them in the freezer! When you want to eat one, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. I like to warm mine up in the microwave in the morning to get those berries popping again!
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar plus more for the top
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup 4 tablespoons butter, very cold, cut into small cubes
- 2 eggs, well beaten in a small bowl
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries, washed and any excess steams removed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a jumbo muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt.
- To the flour mixture, add the cold butter cubes. I take my whisk and mash the butter cubes while I whisk to make little butter beads. When the butter melts inside the muffins, it will create fluffy air pockets.
- To the mixture, add in the eggs, milk and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture into your jumbo muffin tin until each muffin slot is almost full. It would say about 95% full. You should have enough for 6 jumbo muffins. It will look like it might spill over, but it won’t!
- Sprinkle a little more sugar on the top, about ½ teaspoon or so. This makes a crunchy, sugary top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until you insert a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean. Let them cool slightly before enjoying!