Happy New Year friends! I hope you had a great holiday season! It was a very relaxing, low-key time for my family and it was pretty amazing! I wanted to say another quick “thank you” to everyone who reads this blog. I had wanted to start a blog for some time and I finally got the courage to in 2017. I’ve learned so much over the past 5 months and I am excited to learn a ton more in 2018 and beyond. My goals for this year include: learning about photography and taking better pictures of my creations, growing this blog and reaching more people, connecting with more of you and with other bloggers and, of course, eating/creating new great recipes.
Today I wanted to share, not a new creation, but something I’ve been eating for years called burrito pie. I can remember my mom making this recipe often when I was growing up and it is one of the easiest, tastiest recipes she makes. The recipe originally came from my grandma (where a lot of them come from) but I can only remember my mom making it. Instead of making actual burritos, all the components of a meat, bean and cheese burrito are stacked up with salsa and spices and baked to perfection. I love this meal because it takes hardly any effort and it is very customizable to what your family likes.
Burrito Pie tips:
I use flour tortillas for my burrito pie, but if you prefer corn tortillas, go for it!
- The recipe calls for ground beef and a can of refried beans, but you can also use ground turkey or ground chicken. You can also use refried black beans instead of regular.
- You can use whatever kind of cheese you have on hand. I switch it up every time I make it. Cheddar or a Mexican blend cheese works well. You can also use pepper jack if you like it spicy.
This recipe calls for frying of the tortillas. I realize that since it’s the new year some people may be trying to avoid frying things. I like to do this to make my tortillas crispy and it also helps the layers stack better. I have never tried it with non-fried tortillas. You can give it a try and let me know how it goes 😀.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was one of my favorites as a kid and it’s kind of cool to eat a burrito shaped like pie 😀
- 4 fajita sized tortillas
- Oil for frying- I use vegetable oil, but you can use whatever you prefer
- 1- pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- ¾ cup your favorite salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups of your favorite cheese, I use cheddar or a Mexican blend
- Favorite burrito toppings, like sour cream, lettuce, olives and hot sauce! Whatever you like!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a shallow skillet, warm up enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. I usually set the heat to medium-low.
- Once the oil is heated, lightly fry the tortillas one at a time until they are golden brown. It will only take a few minutes on each side. Set them on a paper towel once the come out of the pan.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, brown the ground beef with the onion and the salt and pepper. Once it’s done, drain the fat and add it back into the pan.
- To the meat, add the refried beans, salsa, chili powder and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
- Spray a dish with non-stick spray (I use a glass pie dish).
- Start layering: tortilla, ¼ of the meat mixture spread out onto the tortilla, then ½ cup of cheese evenly sprinkled on the meat. Repeat the layers until all the meat mixture and cheese is gone.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite burrito toppings!