Aside from the crust, you have lots of tender chopped mushrooms, cheese galore and crisp sautéed onion piled high on top! It’s a great appetizer for a crowd.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons plus more for buttering the bread
- ¼ cup dried parsley (or you can used ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped fine)
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6-8 slices sandwich bread, crust cut off and flattened slightly with a rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt the 3 tablespoons butter. Add in the onion and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in the parsley, egg yolks, both cheeses and salt. Make sure to start stirring quickly so your yolks don’t cook. Keep stirring until all the cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
- Meanwhile, start buttering one side of your bread and place it face down into a 9×13 pan. Do this until the whole bottom is covered with bread (you may need to cut a few in half).
- Spoon the mushroom/cheese mixture onto the bread and spread out evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the bread gets golden brown.