Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
CHEESY HAM AND POTATO SOUP
Hello Friends! I hope you had a fantastic Monday. If you didn’t, then I suggest you try this cheesy ham and potato soup. It will cheer you up and make your Tuesday (or whatever day you are reading this) a whole lot better. I love this soup for many reasons, the number one reason being: potatoes. I HATE peeling potatoes. It is one of only a few things I hate doing in the kitchen. This soup doesn’t require the peeling of potatoes. Can I get an AMEN!? The recipe calls for thawed diced potatoes! Cool right? I think it’s amazing. Rather than peel, dice and cook and bunch of potatoes, you just have to thaw some out overnight and bam! Easy peasy!
I also love this recipe because of the cheese. How can you not love cheese? This recipe is so versatile, that you could use any cheese you have on hand and it would taste yummy. You could even go rogue and use flavored cream cheese! Whaaatt? Yeah, I went there.
The last major reason why I love this soup, is that you can have it done in about 30 minutes or less! I’m on a roll huh? First, no peeling potatoes, second, dinner is served in 30 minutes. If having dinner ready in 30 minutes doesn’t make you happy, then I don’t know what to tell ya!
Let’s get a recap of this amazing soup, shall we? It has tender, non-mushy chunks of diced potatoes, salty diced ham (or bacon if you have that), creamy cheddar cheese along with cream cheese and veggies to round it out! Can you say drool worthy?!
Cheesy ham and potato soup tips:
Like I said above, you can use the ham that the soup calls for or you can use bacon. You can even throw in cooked shredded chicken if you want!
- I just use regular cream cheese and mild shredded cheddar. You can really use any kind of cheese you want. You can used flavored cream cheese, like onion and chive, or you can use mozzarella cheese or pepper jack to spice it up. It’s totally versatile!
- Other veggies can be added/substituted, such as broccoli and carrots! Just make sure there aren’t too many, I would say 1 ½ to 2 cups veggies total.
If, at the end, the soup is too thick for your liking, just thin it out with some milk, broth or water until it is the consistency that you like.
I hope you enjoy this wonderful meal, my soup lovin’ friends! 😊
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, rinsed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups broth- chicken or vegetable
- 3 cups frozen diced potatoes, thawed overnight
- 1 cup diced, cooked ham or bacon
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream, I use full fat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a stock pot, or a pot big enough for lots of soup, melt the butter on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add in the diced onion and celery. Sautee until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- After the veggies are cooked, sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until no white flour powder remains. It will only take a minute.
- Add the broth to the veggies and turn up the heat to medium-high. Give it a stir. Once it starts to bubble and thicken, turn the heat to medium-low and add in the diced potatoes, ham or bacon and seasonings. Let it cook about 7 minutes until the potatoes and ham are heated through, stirring occasionally so the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mix until combined. Once the potatoes and ham are heated through, add the cream cheese mixture and shredded cheese to the soup. Stir until all the cheese is melted and the cream cheese mixture is incorporated into the soup.