Fiesta Chicken Pinwheels
FIESTA CHICKEN PINWHEELS
Happy Friday! Did you have a great short week? I’ve been busy brainstorming. I tell ya, my brain goes a million miles a minute thinking about recipes and food. I literally think about food all day. It’s not all that bad, except sometimes I forget a really great idea I had. What I didn’t forget, is this recipe for fiesta chicken pinwheels. I promised you earlier in the week that I would have another recipe using shredded chicken (did you make extra?) or leftover rotisserie chicken (that’s what I use). If you are still thinking about what to make for your New Year’s party, I suggest these pinwheels or my layered sesame chicken dip I shared earlier in the week 😀. Both recipes are very simple and they both feed a crowd.
What I like about these pinwheels is they are a two-bite snack (or one if you have a big mouth like me 😀). You can literally walk by the snack table, grab one, and by the time you reach your destination (i.e. the couch) you’ll be finished.
These pinwheels have everything you could want, all wrapped up and easy to eat. Cream cheese, sour cream and a fiesta ranch packet make the base for these irresistible little snacks. Then shredded chicken, shredded cheese and green chilis get folded in. This mixture gets spread on big burrito sized tortillas with a sprinkle of lettuce, then rolled up, chilled for a bit then cut into little pieces of deliciousness. It could not get any easier!
Fiesta chicken pinwheel tips:
Make sure your cream cheese is soft, so it can be easily combined with the sour cream. Although, it is ok to have a few little cream cheese chunks. It adds little bursts of cream cheese flavor in the pinwheels.
- If you aren’t a fan of fiesta ranch, you can always sub a regular packet of ranch.
- I like using cheddar cheese in my pinwheels, but you can use your favorite kind. If you want them to be spicier, you can use pepper jack cheese, or you can sub jalapeño cream cheese for the regular cream cheese in the base. My hubby likes them spicy, so I do half and half sometimes.
After I’ve rolled up the tortillas, I let them chill in the refrigerator for about an hour. It helps them get firm, so they are easier to cut into pinwheels.
I hope you all have a great weekend and a Happy New Year! I’ll be watching my Badgers in the Orange Bowl this weekend and I’ll probably be in bed by 10 on New Year’s Eve, but hey, that’s the parent life for ya! 😉
- 5 burrito sized tortillas warmed up slightly in the microwave for easier rolling (only about 15 seconds)
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 1.1 ounce packet fiesta ranch dip mix
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken cold
- 1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded lettuce
- With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and fiesta ranch until smooth.
- Fold in the shredded chicken, green chiles and shredded cheese.
- Spread 1/5th of the mixture onto one tortilla in a thin layer. Evenly sprinkle ½ cup shredded lettuce over the cream cheese mixture. Roll the tortilla up tightly (be careful not to rip the tortilla). Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Repeat the steps until all the tortillas, cream cheese mixture and lettuce are gone.
- Let the tortillas chill for about an hour in the refrigerator.
- After they are chilled, unwrap them and cut them into even pieces. You should get about 8 pinwheels from one roll. The ends will be ugly, so you can eat or discard those.
- You should have about 40 pinwheels from this recipe!