Four Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups
These four cheese lasagna roll ups are perfect for meatless Monday! Four cheeses combine with Italian seasoning and jarred pasta sauce to make an easy meal that will fit perfectly into your dinner rotation!
Four Cheese Lasagna Roll Ups
(this post contains affiliate links)
Do you even just get mad cravings for lasagna? I know that I do. Then I think to myself, “Do I really want to make a giant pan of lasagna?” The answer is always no, and I’m left with a craving and no willpower to make lasagna. Que these four cheese lasagna roll ups. I love these lasagna roll ups for many reasons, but the main one being is that it takes way less time to make these roll ups than it does to make a large pan of lasagna. Plus, this recipe makes six roll ups, which is perfect for my family of three. All the roll ups get eaten and we don’t have to worry about a half of a giant pan of lasagna going to waste.
Another reason I love these roll ups is that they are great for meatless Monday. You won’t miss the meat with all the creamy, gooey cheese in these roll ups. Plus, it saves us money not putting meat in these. We are trying to cut out meat a few days a week, and these certainly help. Speaking of saving money, I used our favorite jarred pasta sauce from Aldi instead of making it homemade, and I used cream cheese instead of the traditional ricotta. By cutting out the more expensive elements of traditional lasagna, we can feed our family for less and not sacrifice flavor.
How to make four cheese lasagna roll ups
The lasagna noodles: Make sure you buy regular lasagna noodles, not the no boil ones and cook them according to the package directions.
The cheeses: These four cheeses are easily substituted to whatever kind of cheese you like. I stuck with the more traditional cheese found in lasagna, but you can use whatever you like. Also, you can substitute ricotta cheese for the cream cheese if you prefer. I would just make sure you use either cream cheese or ricotta and 3 other cheeses you like.
The pasta sauce: Any kind of jarred pasta sauce will do. I usually used a traditional flavor or garden veggie flavor. Both are amazing.
Freezer meal option: These roll ups make a great freezer meal. You just make them how you normally would, putting them in an aluminum pan (I love these) and storing them for up to one month in the freezer. When you are ready to bake, just thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake as usual. If the roll ups are still a little frozen when you are ready to bake, that is ok. You may need to add 5-10 minutes onto the baking time.
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese softened
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions
- While the noodles are cooking, combine the softened cream cheese, cottage cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, egg and seasonings in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- When the noodles are done cooking, lay them flat on a plate or baking sheet so they don’t rip or get bent.
- In a baking dish, pour ½ cup of the pasta sauce into the bottom and spread in a thin layer to cover the bottom.
- One by one, spoon 1/6th of the cheese mixture onto a lasagna noodle and spread to fully cover the noodle. Slowly roll the noodle so that the cheese mixture stays in place. Place into the baking dish and repeat until all the noodles are rolled
- Pour the remaining pasta sauce evenly over the lasagna noodles and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degreed for 40 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted
This makes a great freezer meal. Just make the roll ups as usual, put them in an aluminum pan (I love these) and store in the freezer for up to one month. When you’re ready to make them, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as usual.