French Dip Sliders with Homemade Au Jus
FRENCH DIP SLIDERS WITH HOMEMADE AU JUS
(This post contains affiliate links)
Football season is right around the corner, people! (GO PACK GO!) You know what that means: fantastic game day food! Some of the best and easiest food comes out at game day parties and these little sliders are no exception. These sliders pack a ton of flavor into one tiny bun and they are so simple to make. Melty provolone cheese (yes!), thinly sliced deli roast beef (oh yeah!) onions and homemade au jus (yum!) are the perfect comforting combination. I made these for my husband over the weekend and after every bite he told me how good they were. I must be doing something right ?.
The keys to making these sliders are:
thinly sliced roast beef from the deli. If they don’t have any sliced thin, just ask them to slice some fresh for ya! Since the sliders are so small, you don’t want thick roast beef taking up too much of the slider.
- A good melty cheese: I chose provolone for these sliders, but swiss or mozzarella would also taste fabulous!
- Hawaiian sweet rolls: these little buns are to die for! They are fluffy, just a little sweet and make all the difference as the vessel for these French dip sliders.
- The everything seasoning: this seasoning adds the perfect amount of flavor to the top of the sliders. If you don’t have any of this seasoning, a simple sprinkle of garlic salt would do (but I highly recommend the everything seasoning ?)
Au jus: below is the recipe I make for au jus. It’s pretty darn good if you ask me! If you are in a hurry, you can always use a packet of au jus from the store. Just follow the directions on the package.
Make these sliders at your next party and I guarantee your friends will love them! Oh, and may the odds be ever in your favorite football team’s favor! I just hope my Packers have a great year this year!
- Homemade Au Jus mix, makes 3/4 cup of dry mix
- 5 TBSP beef bouillon granules
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp minced onion
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 TBSP corn starch
- 1 package Hawaiian sweet rolls
- 1 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper
- 4 TBSP butter, divided
- everything seasoning
- au just mix, see above or 1 packet
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 in pan with cooking spray
- Make au jus- whisk 2 TBSP homemade mix with 2 cups water in a small sauce pan on the stove and heat 10-12 minutes until slightly thick. Turn heat to warm when thickened.
- While the au jus is cooking, slice your onion into strips, add them to a small pan with 2 TBSP butter and a dash of salt and pepper. Sauté the onions on medium heat until they have a nice brown color on the outside, about 5 min.
- Slice your rolls in half without separating them, making sure the top and bottom are as even as possible.
- Assemble the sliders: place the bottom half of the rolls into the greased baking dish. Add 6 slices of cheese on top of the buns then evenly spread out the roast beef on top of the cheese. Take ¼ cup au jus and drizzle it on top of the roast beef then add the sautéd onions and 6 more slices of cheese. Put the top on the buns.
- Melt 2 TBSP butter and brush the top of the buns with the butter. Sprinkle a few dashes of everything seasoning on top of each slider.
- Bake 20 min until cheese is melty
- Serve with au jus for dipping!
- Make sure to store the remaining au jus powder mix in a mason jar for later use