Layered Sesame Chicken Dip
This dip is so easy to prepare and so fantastic to eat. It has a layer of cream cheese, followed by chicken coated in a rich sesame sauce. Then comes the crunch with coleslaw mix and to round out the dip, a few green onions sprinkled on top.
LAYERED SESAME CHICKEN DIP
Hi everyone! I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! My husband, daughter and I hung out at home on Monday and my grandma and uncle came to our house and they brought sloppy joes and mac and cheese for Christmas lunch. It was marvelous. Last year they did the same thing. I had just gotten home from the hospital on Christmas day and they brought an easy lunch for us to enjoy! It is a tradition now, I guess, and a great one at that. We have never been about fancy lunch or dinner on Christmas. It has always been more of a munch on snacks kind of day.
Speaking of snacks, have you thought about what you’re going to serve at your New Year’s party? You probably haven’t because you have just spent the last few days eating, with a side of eating. Well, lucky for you, I have the perfect, easy dip for your New Year’s party: layered sesame chicken dip.
Folks, this dip is so easy to prepare and so fantastic to eat. It has a layer of cream cheese, followed by chicken coated in a rich sesame sauce. Then comes the crunch with coleslaw mix and to round out the dip, a few green onions sprinkled on top.
The best, and by far the most addicting part, is the homemade wonton chips to scoop the dip up with. These are also easy to make a day ahead of time. But beware, once you try one chip, you’ll have to force yourself to stop eating them because they are SO GOOD!
Tips for making this dip:
Make sure your cream cheese is very soft. It is so much easier to spread into the bottom of your pan.
Speaking of pan, you can use virtually any pan you’d like for this dip. I used an oval plate and spread the cream cheese on the bottom and layered from there. You can use a 9×13 baking dish. If you want all the layers to be on the thicker side, you can use an 8×8 baking dish. If you want the layers to be thin, you can even use a small cookie sheet for your dip. You do you!
To make it even easier on yourself, you can use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. I do, and it saves time and it is already perfectly cooked and seasoned. If you don’t have rotisserie chicken, just boil some chicken breasts and shred them. Either way, the dip will taste great.
I told you above that I serve homemade wonton chips with this recipe. If you don’t have the time to make them, or can’t find wonton wrappers, you can serve this dip with sesame crackers or tortilla chips.
For the dip:
- 2 (8 ounce) blocks cream cheese,, softened
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken,, rotisserie chicken works awesome
- 1 cup sesame sauce, , I LOVE P.F. Chang’s Sesame Sauce
- 1 ½ cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions,, chopped
For the wonton chips:
- 1 (12 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil
- Sea salt
To make wonton chips:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Cut all your wonton wrappers on a diagonal.
- Brush one side of the wonton wrapper with vegetable oil and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet, oil side up (I HIGHLY recommend using parchment paper to prevent burning). Do this until the whole baking sheet is full (I only do one baking sheet at a time, so they cook evenly). Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until the chips are golden brown. Be very careful because they will go from almost done to burnt in no time so keep a close watch.
- Repeat until all the wrappers are baked. Let them cool a little and place them into a container. You can store these in an air tight container until ready to serve.
To make the dip:
- Spread the softened cream cheese on the bottom of your preferred pan/plate. Make sure it’s evenly spread out.
- For the next layer, in a medium bowl combine the chicken and the sesame sauce and mix well. Spoon the chicken onto the cream cheese and spread out evenly.
- Next, spread the coleslaw mix evenly on top of the chicken, then sprinkle the green onions over the top.
- Serve with homemade wonton chips, crackers or tortilla chips.