This lemon bread is full of sweet, yet tart lemon flavor. It is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert! You will fall in love with how easy and how oh so lemony this bread is!
(this post contains affiliate links)
The unofficial start to summer is when all the fruity and citrusy desserts start making their way around. I know that summer has officially started when I start to crave lemony things. And I mean ALL things. Lemonade, lemon water, lemon desserts and particularly, this lemon bread.
This lemon bread recipe has been in my family for many, many years. It is my great grandma’s recipe that she used to make all the time! I love this lemon bread for many reasons, the first obvious reason is how lemony it is. At first glance, this recipe doesn’t seem to pack a lot of lemon flavor. But trust me, after it is baked, and the lemon syrup is poured over the top, you can’t escape that luscious lemon flavor. This bread is the perfect softness. It is slightly dense, yet perfectly soft when you cut into it. Another great thing about this lemon bread is that it doesn’t take a lot of ingredients to make. Only 10 ingredients and a few other kitchen utensils and bowls and you’re on your way to heavenly lemon bread!
How to make lemon bread
The lemon bread: You can choose to make this bread as one big loaf, or two to three small loaves. The small loaves are super cute for giving away or cutting slices and putting in lunch boxes. I use this loaf pan when I make a big loaf for the family and I use these small loaf pans when I make them for my friends and family to take home. When using the small loaf pans, you can be the judge as to if you want to make two or three loaves. I normally use two small pans because I like my mini loaves to be small, yet tall.
The lemon syrup: It’s important that you make the lemon syrup right as the lemon bread is ready to come out of the oven. While the bread is still hot, you’ll want to poke holes with a toothpick or skewer and spoon the syrup over the warm bread, so it soaks in and creates a bit of a sticky top. This is how the lemon bread gets a lot of its lemony flavor.
For Lemon Bread
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 medium lemon zested, about 1-2 tablespoons of zest once the whole lemon is zested
- ½ cup milk
For Lemon Syrup
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease your loaf pan or pans
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or with your kitchen aid mixer, cream the butter until its smooth.
- Add the sugar, ¼ cup at a time while mixing.
- Add eggs, one at a time and keep on mixing.
- Add dry ingredients, ¼ cup at a time, alternating the dry ingredients and the milk so the batter gets mixed well.
- Pour the batter into your loaf pan, or pans.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes for one large loaf and 25 minutes for mini loaves.
- When the bread is almost ready to come out of the oven, make the lemon syrup: in a small sauce pan, heat the lemon juice and sugar on low heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- When the bread come out of the oven, poke lots of holes in the bread with a toothpick or skewer and spoon the lemon syrup over the top.
- Let the bread cool 15 minutes before removing it from the pan.