Mashed Potatoes

Sharing is caring!

MASHED POTATOES

(This post contains affiliate links)

Around my house, mashed potatoes are always the first to go at the dinner table. Mashed potatoes are my favorite side dish of all time. Yes, of all time. They even beat out a yummy dinner roll and if you know me at all, you know I love bread. If there is one downfall to making mashed potatoes, it’s actually peeling the potatoes. I HATE peeling potatoes. It is one of the things I dread doing in the kitchen. Usually I try and recruit my husband to peel the potatoes. It works about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time he’s conveniently busy.

The thing I love most about these mashed potatoes is that you don’t even need gravy to go with them. Yes, they taste awesome with gravy, but they have so much flavor and fluffiness that gravy isn’t all that necessary. The cream cheese adds so much richness to these potatoes as well as helps them stay fluffy. Add in all the butter and seasonings and I can guarantee that you’ll be licking the bowl clean. These are also easily made in an instant pot (which I do quite often). I love making potatoes in my instant pot because you just set the timer and go. There is no need to check on them, or see if they’ve boiled over. Just 6 minutes in the pot is all they need, and they will be done every time.

Mashed taters tips:

  • I use good old-fashioned russet potatoes, but Yukon golds would work great too. Potatoes with more starch, like russets and Yukon golds, are better for mashing because they absorb flavor well and get smooth and creamy.

  • I like to use regular cream cheese for this recipe, that way I can add more seasonings to my liking, but you could also do a flavored cream cheese like onion and chive or jalapeño to amp up the flavor a bit.
  • If you choose to use an instant pot I would cut the potato chunks a little smaller than you would for boiling. And try and keep all the chunks the same size to guarantee they’ll all get cooked.
  • This recipe makes enough potatoes for 6-8 people, but it is easily able to be divided in half for less people.

I hope you enjoy my favorite mashed potato recipe! 😀

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Prep Time: -49 years 312 days 20 hours 36 minutes
Cook Time: -49 years 312 days 20 hours 36 minutes
Total Time: -97 years 260 days 17 hours 12 minutes

These mashed potatoes taste awesome with gravy, but they have so much flavor and fluffiness that gravy isn’t all that necessary.

Ingredients

  • 1 five-pound bag russet potatoes, peeled, rinsed off and cut into small 1-inch chunks
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, slightly softened
  • ½ cup sour cream, I used full fat
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 2 tablespoons dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
  • 1 tablespoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder

Instructions

  1. Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks (about 1 ½ inches).
  2. Boil the potatoes with a sprinkle of salt until tender, about 10-12 minutes
  3. Drain the potatoes and add them back to the pot
  4. To the potatoes, add the cream cheese, butter chunks and sour cream and mash until smooth (I LOVE this potato masher. It’s old school, but it works like a charm!)
  5. Once the potatoes are mashed well (I like a few chunks left in mine) fold in the seasonings with a wooden spoon until fully incorporated.
  6. Enjoy!

Notes

If you are using an instant pot: peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Add them to your instant pot with a sprinkle of salt and fill the pot with water about I inch above the potatoes. Close the lid and make sure the vent is in the “sealing” position. Make sure the pot is on “high pressure”. Press “manual” and set to 6 minutes. When the 6 minutes is up, do a quick release. When the valve drops, open the lid and carefully take the pot out and drain the potatoes. Put the potatoes back in the pot then add cream cheese, butter chunks and sour cream and mash until smooth. Then fold in all the seasonings.

Sharing is caring!



1 thought on “Mashed Potatoes”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.