Happy Tuesday Friends! Boy, do I have an awesome recipe to share with you today! I am super excited about this recipe for Mongolian meatloaf. I have been wanting to make it and share it with you for a long time and just recently got the chance to recipe test it. I saw this great recipe for Mongolian BBQ Burgers and thought they looked so good but I don’t usually make burgers at home. My grandma actually had the idea to turn the recipe (with a few tweaks) into meatloaf. I thought that was a brilliant idea! I liked the thought of it as meatloaf because I could easily prepare it when I got the chance during the day (my daughter makes it hard for me to get things done) or make it and freeze it for another time!
If you have never had Mongolian BBQ sauce, you are seriously missing out. It’s slightly peppery, slightly sweet and just the right thickness for this meat loaf. I used P.F. Changs Mongolian BBQ sauce for this recipe because I love the flavor of all their sauces. I used their sesame sauce in another recipe recently for layered sesame chicken dip and just love flavor. You should give this meatloaf a try even if you’re not fond of meatloaf. It might just convert you to a meatloaf lover! 😊
Mongolian meatloaf notes and tips:
I love the way ground turkey tastes as the base of this recipe. You could easily use ground beef instead if you prefer!
- I always use panko bread crumbs for my meatloaf. I think they taste better and make a world of difference compared to regular bread crumbs. If you don’t have them, that’s ok. Regular breadcrumbs will do but make sure you get plain ones.
- You can find the Mongolian BBQ sauce at Walmart or check your local grocery store.
- You could make this meatloaf as meatballs or burgers for a different twist.
We like to serve our meatloaf with steamed veggies or an Asian type salad!
I hope you enjoy this twist on meatloaf! If you make it, let me know! I’d love to hear how you liked it. Have a great week!
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup P.F. Changs Mongolian BBQ sauce divided
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce if you don’t have any, just use chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger could use fresh if you have some. You'll probably need about 1 1/2 teaspoons if you use fresh ginger
- 2 green onions chopped fine, green parts only
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with foil and give it a light spray of cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients, using only 1/3 cup of the Mongolian BBQ sauce, and mix until well incorporated. I usually just used my hands to mix it well.
- Press firmly into the loaf pan, making sure it’s spread out evenly in the pan.
- Top the meatloaf with the remaining 1/3 cup of Mongolian BBQ sauce and spread across the top evenly. If you think it needs more sauce on top, go for it!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it sit a few minutes, remove from the pan and enjoy!
Modified from the original recipe found here