Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
MUSHROOM AND WILD RICE SOUP
Get ready because I am sharing another great soup recipe with you today: mushroom and wild rice soup! I love this soup because it’s meatless for this meatless Monday! My husband and I are trying to figure out ways to save money, and one thing we know we can do is cut meat out a few nights a week. By doing that, it forces us to eat more veggies (although we don’t need forcing because we love veggies). I love doubling up on veggies where there is supposed to be meat in a dish, like doubling the mushrooms in this mushroom and wild rice soup. This soup has so many big chunks of mushrooms that you wont even miss the meat.
Aside from all the big chunks of mushrooms, it has tender carrots and onions and plenty of wild rice! I love cooking wild rice in the slow cooker. Since it has to cook longer than regular white or brown rice, I find it easier to let it hang out all day in soups. Wild rice is high in protein and gluten free and is the official grain of Minnesota, where I live! 😀
Tips for mushroom and wild rice soup:
This recipe doesn’t call for a lot of liquid at the beginning because the mushrooms will give off quite a bit of it. Once the soup is done and you add the milk/flour mixture you can adjust the creaminess as you’d like with more vegetable stock or water.
- You can always use less mushrooms if you don’t want as many as this recipe calls for. I would add more carrots or onion if you don’t plan on using all the mushrooms. Or you could add other vegetables you like, such as celery or broccoli. You can also add shredded chicken or cooked ground beef to the soup. You will just need to adjust the thickness of the soup at the end.
This soup reheats well. It will get thick as it sits in the refrigerator, so you’ll need to thin it out with water or stock when you heat it back up.
Have a great week! I have another soup recipe for you coming up later in the week, so make sure you subscribe to my mailing list, so you don’t miss it! (You can subscribe right off to the left of this page, or on mobile, just keep scrolling until you see the place to subscribe) Thanks friends!
For the soup:
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced (I buy whole mushrooms and slice them myself, they are cheaper)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 ½ cups wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons each dried thyme, garlic powder and parsley
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Add all the ingredients under “for the soup” into the slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Right before serving, melt butter on stove. Once melted add the flour and stir to make a paste. Slowly add in the milk and stir. Once it starts to thicken, take it off the heat and pour it into the slow cooker and stir.
- The soup should thicken in no time. If it’s too thick, you can add in more vegetable stock or water to thin it out.