One Pot Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms
Tender and juicy chicken combined with fresh mushrooms and delicious spinach make this a meal you can make in a snap any night of the week!
ONE POT CHICKEN PASTA WITH SPINACH AND MUSHROOMS
Ohhh one pot meals, you have become my BFF. Seriously! My daughter is 4, almost 5 months old now and it seems like I can never get anything done. I have high praise for moms who can do it all! One pot meals (this one, in particular) are so easy that while my daughter is taking her afternoon nap I can whip it up in no time. At least I can feel like I got SOMETHING done!
I like one pot meals for many reasons, the first being easy clean up. Like it literally has ONE pot! That plus a cutting board, knife and a few measuring utensils makes mama very happy when having to clean after dinner. You can even use paper plates (GASP) to eat this and it would be just fine and dandy! The second thing I like is the amount of ingredients it takes to make a great meal. These are ingredients that are easy to find and may already be in your refrigerator. Last, but certainly not least, is that there are leftovers. It’s just my husband and I (until my daughter starts eating real food) so he can take leftovers for lunch the next day or we can eat it a second night for dinner. If you haven’t tried any one pot meals, you need to ASAP! You will love them and wonder why you haven’t tried them sooner.
Let me tell you a little bit more about why I like this chicken pasta with spinach and mushrooms. The chicken comes out tender and flavorful. Since it cooks in with all the other great ingredients, it takes on that flavor and stays moist and juicy. The spinach adds a healthy element to the dish and I love the bright color it adds also. I used frozen spinach as a budget friendly option. I personally think that it has all the great flavor of fresh and it’s about half the price at my local grocery store. Mushrooms add rustic flair and make it extra yummy. I just love the way chicken and mushrooms taste together, especially in an easy, creamy sauce.
I hope you enjoy this easy meal!
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, sliced (or buy pre-sliced ones)
- 2 cups cellentani pasta or your favorite pasta
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbps basil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach thawed and with the water squeezed out, or 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil. Once it is heated, cook chicken over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until no longer pink.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender
- Add the pasta along with the water, salt, pepper, onion powder and basil to the pan. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes
- Add spinach, cream and parmesan cheese and continue simmering until cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with more shredded parmesan to your liking
If the sauce ends up too thick, just add a few more dashes of cream or water to thin it out.
Modified slightly from the original recipe found here: Chef-in-training