One Pot Chicken Pasta
One pot is all you need to make this tasty chicken pasta! Tender chunks of chicken and mushrooms combine with sundried tomato pesto and lots of mozzarella cheese to make a quick meal your family will love!
One Pot Chicken Pasta
(this post contains affiliate links)
Have you ever tired a one pot meal? If you haven’t, you are seriously missing out. Not only do you get a tasty meal but there is hardly any clean up! I think that is the best part! A cutting board, knife and pot is all you need to make this one pot chicken pasta. Yes, only 3 utensils. Crazy huh?
You know what’s not crazy, how delicious and simple this pasta dish is to make. It only requires a handful of ingredients and it can be done in a little over 30 minutes, so it’s great as a weeknight meal. Not only does it have tender chunks of chicken, but it also has earthy mushrooms, sundried tomato pesto for a little zip, melty, ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese and cute little bowtie pasta. It is also great for lunch the next day! It’s the pasta dish that keeps on giving!
How to make one pot chicken pasta
The chicken: I like to use chicken for this dish, but you can customize it to your family’s liking and use other kinds of meat as well. Italian sausage would be a great alternative.
The liquid: It may seem like there is a lot of liquid when you start to boil the pasta. Fear not, this will help melt the mozzarella at the end to make a creamy pasta and the liquid will be no more.
The mushrooms: I buy already sliced mushrooms to save time. You can use canned mushrooms to save even more time and skip the step in the directions for sautéing the mushrooms. If you don’t like mushrooms, you can leave them out or use another kind of vegetable, like steamed broccoli or chunks of zucchini.
The pot: I love using this pot to make this one pot chicken pasta. I like how it’s a little shallow and wide. It holds all the contents of the pasta dish and gives me room to stir. I also think it helps cook it more evenly.
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil, for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) box bowtie pasta
- 1 (8.1 ounce) jar sun dried tomato pesto
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Generously season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place chicken into pot when oil is hot and cook until completely done, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan and discard any remaining juices.
- Place pan back on stove, add in the butter and turn to medium-low. When butter is melted, sauté the mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are tender, add the chicken back to the pot, along with the chicken broth, milk, pasta and ½ jar of sundried tomato pesto.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat down so the pot simmers. Simmer for 12-14 minutes until pasta is fully cooked, stirring often so the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom. There will still be liquid in the pot after the pasta is cooked and that is ok.
- Remove from heat and add in the rest of the jar of sundried tomato pesto and the mozzarella cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted and creamy.
Try these other delicious chicken recipes
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Slow Cooker Zesty Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos