Pork Chop and Potato Bake
PORK CHOP AND POTATO BAKE
Pork chops: do you love them or hate them? For me, it was always a definite hate. I never ate them growing up. Whenever my mom would cook them, I would make myself something else. I don’t know why I just never liked the taste. Fast forward to my twenties. I tried pork chops again at a friend’s house and I was like “hey these are actually really good!” Since then, I have never looked back.
This recipe for pork chop and potato bake was one that my mom would make often and still makes. The pork chops are seared to a golden brown, then baked in with the cheesy and creamy potatoes. After they are baked, the pork chops are topped with cheese and Frenches onions. Yummy! Plus, how could you not love a recipe that has cheesy potatoes!? This recipe is great for a family, as it feeds 4 to 6 or even 8 people depending how much your family eats. Plus, the leftovers are dynamite the day! Even if you have a small family, like me, you can always throw a few extra pork chops on top of the potatoes and you’ll have lunch a few days during the week! It’s a win-win! Plus, the clean-up is minimal and that helps a ton when I have a little one *almost* running around!
Pork chop and potato bake tips:
If you don’t have pork chops/don’t like them, you can always use chicken in place of the pork chops. Still sear the outside of the chicken and bake as usual. If you don’t feel comfortable putting meat on top of potatoes, you can always bake the potatoes and meat in separate dishes. It will still be a delicious meal!
- The recipe for cheesy potatoes is one I make often by itself. It goes well on the side of pretty much anything! Plus, it doesn’t require any extra baking time.
If you want to make this dish a little spicy, I would suggest using pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar. Also, they have jalapeño Frenches fried onions that you can sub-in for the regular ones. They are so delicious!
Hope you have a great week friends! Check back later in the week for another great recipe! Tootles! 😀
- 4-6 Pork Chops- I like mine on the thinner side
- Salt and pepper
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of celery soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 26-30 ounce bag shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed, *see notes*
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups Frenches fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season your pork chops with salt and pepper on each side.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, sear your pork chops until they are golden brown on the outside. It will only take a minute on each side. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the cream of celery, milk, sour cream, garlic powder, parsley and salt together until combined. Stir in the hash browns, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and ½ cup Frenches fried onions until well combined.
- Spread the potatoes into the bottom of a greased 9x13 glass baking dish, making sure they are in an even layer.
- Arrange your pork chops on top of the potatoes so they are evenly spread out.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil and evenly divide the rest of the Frenches onions on top of all the pork chops. Then evenly divide the rest of the cheese on top of the onions. Bake uncovered for an additional 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Any sized package of potatoes between 26 and 30 ounces will work for this recipe. Some stores only carry the 30-ounce bag. I found a 26-ounce bag at Walmart. It will work out the same.