I love this dessert because it is so effortless. You can easily whip it up before your friends and family come over, or you can make it the day before.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (just the cake, none of the other ingredients)
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 3.4oz box instant butterscotch pudding plus milk
- 1 container whipped topping
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla until smooth (batter will look thick)
- Transfer the mix to either an 8×8 greased pan or a 9×13 greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 28-33 minutes if using a 9×13 pan and 30-35 minutes of using an 8×8 pan. You’ll know it’s done by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- When the cake is cool, poke several holes in the top with a wooden spoon handle. Be careful not to go too far down. I would say a little more than half way would be perfect.
- In a small bowl, mix the butterscotch pudding with the amount of milk it takes (usually its 2 cups). When it’s all mixed, quickly pour it over the cake, making sure it gets into all the holes. Cover the pan with foil and refrigerate at least an hour before putting whipped topping on top.
- Optional: add candies to the top after putting on the whipped cream 😊