Raw Apple Cake
RAW APPLE CAKE
Can you believe that there is only one week until Thanksgiving? Only one week until we can enjoy all the food and dessert we want without anyone batting an eye! Speaking of dessert, what kind does your family like to have on Thanksgiving? Pumpkin pie seems to be the most popular dessert. I, myself, am not really a fan of pumpkin pie. I am more of an apple pie kind of gal. But if you are sick of all things pie, you should try my grandma’s raw apple cake! My grandma got this recipe from her late husband Dan’s aunt in 1968 in Oakes, North Dakota. It is one of her favorite desserts to make, to this day. It is loaded with soft chopped apples, a ribbon of brown sugar and nuts in the middle and tastes oh so delicious with a big scoop of whipped topping on top! To me, it tastes like apple crisp in cake form. It can’t get much better than that!
Raw apple cake tips:
You can use any kind of apples you like for this cake. I used gala because they are my favorite, but you can use granny smith or honey crisp, whatever you want.
- You can chop the apples as big or as little as you want. The bigger they are, the crunchier they’ll stay. I like to chop mine on the medium side, I would say about the size of my thumbnail.
- I prefer to use a Bundt pan for this cake. I love how the outside gets a deep brown color and I like how easy it is to cut and serve at the end.
I love using slivered almonds for this cake. The almond/apple combo is da bomb! You can always use pecans, walnuts or even leave the nuts out of you prefer!
I am thankful for all of you that come and read my posts and leave me feedback! It really means a lot! Ill catch up with you all in a few days where I’ll tell you about my Bundt pan stuffing! I can’t wait! (can ya tell I love my Bundt pan? 😀
- ¾ cup softened butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 ¼ cups sifted flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease either a Bundt pan or 9x13 pan.
- Cream together the softened butter, sugar and eggs.
- Add the sifted flour, baking soda, salt, coffee and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Fold in the chopped apples.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped nuts.
- Pour half of your batter into the Bundt pan or baking dish. Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the brown sugar mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the center and it comes out clean.
- Let it cool. If you are using a Bundt pan, carefully flip onto a platter when cooled. It should come right out of the pan.
- Enjoy with whipped topping!