Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
SLOW COOKER MINESTRONE SOUP
Hey guys! Its been way too long since I posted a recipe for soup, right? Well, you’re in luck because today I’m sharing my grandma’s recipe for minestrone! I love minestrone. It always has so many veggies and is packed with pasta. Plus, meat and beans and tomatoes, oh my! I converted my grandma’s recipe to a slow cooker one. I feel that in the winter especially, people turn to their slow cooker a lot more for soups and such. Plus, its nice to have your meal done, or almost done, when you get home from work and it’s dark outside and cold. It’s just a lot more comforting.
This recipe for minestrone is a little different than other ones I’ve seen, in that it has an addition of cabbage in it. I love cooked cabbage. It just enhances the flavor of this soup. Plus, it pairs well with everything else going on in the soup. Each element of this soup brings something different and you’ll notice that with every bite you take. There is something in this soup for everyone!
How to make this soup
This recipe calls for 2 pounds of meat, but one pound will do just fine. Most of the time I use only one pound but if I’m having friends over, I use 2 to make the dish heartier. If you do only use one pound of meat, I would just add more veggies.
- You can use almost any kind of veggies you like in this soup. Sometimes I add corn, or you could even add kale or spinach.
- I like to use light red kidney beans in this soup, but white beans would also work great. Or if you don’t like beans, you can leave them out!
Lastly, for the pasta, try and use small pasta like macaroni, ditalini or small shells. Pasta that is any bigger than those ones will take up too much room in your slow cooker and soak up too much liquid. If that does happen, just add more water.
Enjoy my friends!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion;, diced
- 2 garlic cloves;, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen beans
- 2 celery stalks;, diced
- 2 cups cabbage;, shredded
- 3 carrots;, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce ) can tomato sauce
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper;, to taste
- ¾ cup small pasta;, uncooked
- 1 can kidney beans;, drained and rinsed
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Brown ground beef with the onion and garlic, drain off the fat and place into the slow cooker.
- Add in all the veggies, water, tomato sauce and seasonings. Stir. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low 6-8 hours.
- About 25 minutes before you’re ready to eat, add in the uncooked pasta and drained kidney beans. Cook for an additional 20-25 minutes until pasta is cooked.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top!
If the soup looks thick after the pasta is cooked, you can add a little more water to thin it out.