Slow Roasted Beef Tips
Tender chunks of beef are slowly cooked in flavorful beef gravy with soft mushrooms and little bursts of pearl onions! Slow roasted beef tips are great for a weekend dinner!
Slow Roasted Beef Tips
Slow roasted beef tips are one of my husband’s favorite things that I make. I have been making these for him since we started dating, almost 8 years ago. When I am stumped on what to make for dinners when I meal plan, he always suggests I make these.
What I love most about these is that there is minimal prep. I’m talking whisk a few things together, dump it over the meat and veggies and throw it in the oven. So easy! I also love that you don’t need to babysit the meat in the oven. You just cover it tightly with foil and let it slowly cook for 3 hours. These are great for a lazy Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
This recipe is also great because it makes enough for us to eat it two nights in a row! Or my hubby can take some leftovers for lunch! Easy peasy!
How to make slow roasted beef tips
The beef: I usually buy 2 pounds of stew meat to make it easier on myself. You can always buy a big roast and cut it into bite sized pieces yourself. Whatever is the cheaper way to go!
The veggies: Again, to save myself time, I buy already sliced mushrooms and frozen pearl onions. Sometimes, whole mushrooms are way cheaper, so I buy those and slice them. If you can’t find pearl onions or they are way too expensive, a large yellow onion cut into chunks will do the trick just fine!
The gravy: I try and find low sodium gravy components whenever possible. The usually have lower sodium/reduced fat cream of mushrooms soup at my grocery store, so I buy that. I also know that McCormick has a low sodium brown gravy. It’s always easier to add a little salt at the end if it’s not enough.
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 (8 oz) container sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 (10.5 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 packets brown gravy
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic minced or powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Place the stew meat, mushrooms and pearl onions in a 9x13 pan
- Wisk together all the other ingredients in a separate bowl until smooth
- Pour gravy over the meat and mushrooms, making sure all pieces are covered
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil
- Slow roast in the oven for 3 hours, making sure not to open the foil. I promise they are cooking
- Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles
Other easy dinner recipes