This southwest bake is the epitome of a “breakfast for dinner” food. It has layers of tortillas sprinkled with flavorful Italian sausage. It is slightly spicy from the green chilis and oh so cheesy from the Colby jack cheese. Top all of that off with fluffy eggs and you have yourself a delicious, filling meal.
If I had to choose my favorite type of food, I would hands down choose breakfast food. I could literally eat it at every meal and not get sick of it. I like how there are endless variations of foods. They can be sweet or savory or anything in between. I also like how its encouraged to eat breakfast for dinner.
Southwest bake is the epitome of a “breakfast for dinner” food. It has layers of tortillas sprinkled with flavorful Italian sausage. It is slightly spicy from the green chilis and oh so cheesy from the Colby jack cheese. Top all of that off with fluffy eggs and you have yourself a delicious, filling meal. As if all that goodness wasn’t enough, this dish can be made the night before and enjoyed as a hearty breakfast for a crowd.
How to make Southwest Bake
The tortillas: You can use any kind of tortillas you have on hand. I usually have burrito-sized flour tortillas, so I just use those. If you have another size, you’ll need to adjust the amount so that they cover each layer. You can also use corn tortillas if you prefer!
The Italian sausage: I use mild Italian sausage for this Southwest Bake, but feel free to use medium or hot if you like it spicy!
The cheese: You can use any kind of cheese you like/have on hand. Again, if you like it spicy, you can use pepper jack and if you want it to be on the mild side, go with cheddar. The possibilities are endless!
Make ahead: You can make this the night before exactly how it states but instead of baking, just pop it in the refrigerator until the morning. Then in the morning, you bake as usual!
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas cut in half could substitute corn tortillas if you’d like
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage cooked (can use hot Italian sausage if you like it spicy!)
- 1 can chopped green chilis drained
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 2 cups Colby jack cheese grated
- 10 eggs
- ½ milk
- ½ teaspoon each salt onion salt, garlic powder, pepper and cumin mixed in a small bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Cook your sausage and let it cool slightly.
- Cut your tortillas in half
- Whisk together your eggs and milk until smooth
- Drain both the black beans and green chilis
- Make sure all your seasonings are mixed in a small bowl
- Start layering!
- Start with the tortillas. A totally of 6 halves should fit on the bottom, covering the whole thing
- Sprinkle half the Italian sausage over the tortillas. I usually use my hands and sprinkle it that way
- Evenly spread out half of the can of green chilis over the sausage
- Evenly spread out half the can of black beans over the chilis
- Sprinkle half of your seasoning mixture over the top of that layer
- Cover that layer with 1 cup of Colby jack cheese
- Repeat the layers: tortillas, sausage, chilis, black beans, the other half of the seasoning.
- NOT THE CHEESE YET
- After the last of the seasoning has been added, pour the egg mixture evenly over the last layer.
- Top with the remainder of the cheese
- Cover and bake one hour
- Serve with tomatoes, avocado and hot sauce!
Optional toppings: avocado, tomato and hot sauce or whatever else you’d like