Sweet and Sour Chicken
SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
Hi friends! I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving! We sort of had a traditional Thanksgiving. We had stuffing, mashed potatoes, pie… but no turkey! I know, I know weird huh? We had steak instead. None of us are all that fond of turkey, so my grandma cooked steaks in a cast iron and then in the oven. It was so much faster than cooking a turkey.
I wanted to share my recipe for sweet and sour chicken for those of you who don’t have any leftover turkey (like us) but want something easy to make before ya hit the mall to go shopping. This is by far the best sweet and sour chicken recipe I have ever made, and I do not say that lightly. I love this recipe for many reasons, but the one thing I super duper love about this recipe is that there is no frying involved. When you order sweet and sour chicken in a Chinese restaurant, they usually bring you chicken that’s coated and fried with some sweet and sour sauce. Not here! It saves time (and calories) by not frying the chicken and I think it tastes even better because they chicken soaks up all that yummy flavor when it cooks in the slow cooker all day! On top of all that chicken, you get flavorful onion and green peppers, plus chunks of pineapple. This recipe could not be any easier!
Sweet and sour chicken tips:
This recipe calls for chicken, but you can also use beef, pork, or shrimp in place of it. I would cook it the same way, by cutting it into chunks (except shrimp, leave those whole) and placing it in the slow cooker with everything else.
- You could also mix up the veggies in this dish. It calls for a green pepper and an onion, but you can sub-in whatever you think would taste good.
We like to eat our sweet and sour chicken over plain white rice, but fried rice or Chow Mein noodles would also taste really great!
Have a great weekend! I hope you find lots of great deals if you go out shopping! I am more of a last-minute shopper… I just don’t like shopping all that much and I love to order stuff online 😀
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 large green pepper seeds removed and cut into chunks
- 1 large white onion cut into chunks
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, reserve the juice
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Reserved pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place cut chicken, green pepper, onion and pineapple chunks (save the juice) into the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ketchup, white vinegar, sugar and pineapple juice together until combined.
- Pour over chicken and veggies and stir.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low 6-8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, mix corn starch with water to make a slurry. Pour into the slow cooker and stir. Mixture will thicken.
- Serve over white rice, fried rice or Chow Mein noodles.