Tangy Turkey and Cheese Sliders
Tangy turkey and cheese sliders are the perfect appetizer! Sweet Hawaiian rolls are topped with Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce, turkey breast, mild cheddar cheese, bread and butter pickles and crunchy onion! Watch out, these little sliders will go fast at your next party!
TANGY TURKEY AND CHEESE SLIDERS
Hi! Welcome to another addition of amazing game day food. I present to you: tangy turkey and cheese sliders. I saw a commercial during the summer for Heinz Carolina mustard BBQ sauce and finally tried it the other day with some baked chicken breasts and both my husband and I fell in love with it. It’s got a great mustard flavor with hints of sweetness. You can still tell it’s a barbeque sauce because of the hints of smokiness and seasonings. Overall, we love to put this stuff on everything. This isn’t an advertisement for this sauce; my hubby and I just really love it!
My idea for these tangy turkey sliders came out of a love for this Carolina BBQ sauce. I wanted to pair it with turkey and cheese on little slider buns to make during football games. My husband also loves bread and butter pickles. As an avid lover of a regular old dill pickle, this is not the recipe for them. The bread and butter pickles are where it’s at. They add to the tanginess of the whole sha-bang! I also had to add some red onion for extra crunch and it really brought the whole dish together. These little sliders come together in less than 20 minutes and I can guarantee your guests will love them.
How to make these tangy turkey and cheese sliders:
I love using a flavored turkey for this recipe. I went to my deli and decided on sun dried tomato flavored turkey and it was SO good! You can use any flavor/kind you like. We’ve tried smoked turkey and Cajun turkey, and both were delicious!
I opted for sliced mild cheddar cheese for this recipe, but you can use your favorite kind. Pepper Jack or Swiss cheese are a few other great options.
If you don’t like bread and butter pickles, then you can use dill pickles. Or if you don’t like pickles, you can leave them off.
We like to load the sauce on these sliders. I usually put some on while they’re baking, and we dip them in the sauce after they come out. I would suggest baking them with a little sauce and adding more at the end if you think they need more (you will fall in love with this sauce, so more will be on your horizon!)
You could always add more veggies to the sliders when they come out. Some lettuce and tomatoes would be great on them. Just be careful not to over load them with stuff. You don’t want them to fall apart, but at the same time you want them to be filling enough to be the star of the show.
I hope your team is fairing a little better than mine is this football season. My poor Packers are looking pretty ugly at this point and I don’t think it’s going to get any better. I’ll just drown my sorrows in a batch of these sliders 😀
- 1 package sweet Hawaiian rolls
- ½ cup Heinz Carolina Mustard BBQ sauce,, plus more for dipping
- 1 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 24 bread and butter pickle chips
- 1 small red onion,, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut the Hawaiian rolls in half so you have equal top and bottom halves.
- Place the bottom half of the rolls into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Spread ½ cup Carolina mustard BBQ sauce on the rolls.
- Spread the turkey out evenly on top of the BBQ sauce.
- Place the sliced cheese on top of the turkey.
- Add 2 pickles on top of each individual slider, for a total of 24.
- Add the sliced onion on top of the pickles, as much or as little as you’d like.
- Melt the butter in the microwave, then add the garlic powder to it and stir.
- Place the top on the sliders and brush the top with the melted butter/garlic powder mixture. Then sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the sliders are golden brown.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 12 sliders
Amount Per Serving Calories 165Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 41mgSodium 791mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 9g