Triple Cheese Broccoli Cheese Soup
A combination of 3 different cheeses along with fresh cut broccoli and homemade croutons make this soup a craveable option for any night of the week.
TRIPLE CHEESE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
Have I told you how much I love soup? Well, I do. A lot. Especially one with cheese. Let me tell you, this soup offers all the cheesy goodness one could handle. As an avid lover of Panera’s broccoli cheese soup, I thought that nothing could compare. I was wrong.
My husband hates when I make soup for dinner. He always says “soup isn’t a meal” and we get into a little scuffle about how he needs more than soup. After making him this soup, he says to me “wow, I’m really full!” And I do that whole “I told ya so thing” and brag for days that the soup I made was in fact a meal.
What makes this soup so delicious isn’t just the cheese (although that IS the biggest part), it’s the perfectly cooked broccoli and carrots along with the very crunchy, very addicting homemade croutons. I could eat those things as a snack and not feel bad about it!
I hope you enjoy this easy cheesy soup as much as we did!
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 small Vidalia onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced (or about 1 cup)
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth your preference
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups Wisconsin white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Asiago cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- French baguette
- Olive oil
- Asiago cheese
- Steam broccoli until soft (you can steam it in the microwave). Mince it and set it aside
- In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and garlic and sauté until onion is transparent
- Sprinkle flour onto veggies and mix until all veggies are coated
- Slowly pour in chicken or vegetable broth while stirring constantly. Add the heavy cream and stir a little bit more.
- Let the soup heat through on medium heat and once it starts to boil start adding the cheeses
- Stir slowly until all the cheese is melted.
- Add pepper and salt
- Stir in the minced broccoli and turn heat to low.
- Let it simmer about 7 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325. Cut the baguette into ½ inch cubes and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the pieces of baguette until all the pieces are slightly coated.
- Add some salt and some grated asiago cheese and toss until coated
- Spread onto a baking pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until the baguette pieces are golden brown and crunchy.
- Top your bowl of soup with the homemade croutons and an extra sprinkle of cheese and enjoy!
There are not specific measurements for the croutons because you can make as many as you’d like! (I recommend making more than you think you’ll need simply because you’ll be snacking on them right off the pan ?)
Slightly modified from the original recipe found here: Will Cook for Smiles