Triple Cheese Broccoli Cheese Soup
A combination of 3 different cheeses along with fresh cut broccoli and homemade croutons make this soup a craveable option for any night of the week.
TRIPLE CHEESE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
(Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase)
Have I told you how much I love soup? Well, I do. A lot. Especially one with cheese. Let me tell you, this soup offers all the cheesy goodness one could handle. As an avid lover of Panera’s broccoli cheese soup, I thought that nothing could compare. I was wrong.
My husband hates when I make soup for dinner. He always says “soup isn’t a meal” and we get into a little scuffle about how he needs more than soup. After making him this soup, he says to me “wow, I’m really full!” And I do that whole “I told ya so thing” and brag for days that the soup I made was in fact a meal.
What makes this soup so delicious isn’t just the cheese (although that IS the biggest part), it’s the perfectly cooked broccoli and carrots along with the very crunchy, very addicting homemade croutons. I could eat those things as a snack and not feel bad about it!
Ingredients needed to make this soup:
Veggies including onion, carrots and broccoli, of course!
Chicken or vegetable broth for the soup base. Milk to help with creaminess.
Cheese: Lots of sharp white cheddar, mild cheddar and mozzarella! Oh, and a bit of Parmesan or Asiago for the croutons (totally optional, but delicious!)
Flour to help thicken and seasonings for flavor.
French bread for the delectable croutons, plus some olive oil, garlic powder and salt.
Triple Cheese Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 small Vidalia onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced (or about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, your preference
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Wisconsin white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- French baguette
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Asiago or Parmesan Cheese, optional
In a large soup pot, heat vegetable oil on medium heat. Once heated, add in the onion, carrots and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are soft, about 7 minutes.
Once veggies are softened, sprinkle flour onto veggies and stir until all veggies are coated. Let cook about 1 minute.
Slowly pour in chicken or vegetable broth while stirring constantly. Add in the milk and stir a little more.
Let the soup heat through on medium heat and once it starts to thicken, add in the cheese 1/2 cup at a time while stirring.
One all the cheese is added in and there are no clumps, add in the chopped broccoli. Let the soup simmer until broccoli is soft, about 7 minutes. Make sure to stir frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
Add pepper and salt, to taste.
For the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 325. Cut the baguette into ½ inch cubes and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil onto the pieces of baguette until all the pieces are slightly coated.
Add some salt, garlic powder and some grated Asiago cheese (optional) and toss until coated.
- Spread onto a baking pan and bake 10-12 minutes or until the baguette pieces are golden brown and crunchy.
- Top your bowl of soup with the homemade croutons and an extra sprinkle of cheese and enjoy!
There are not specific measurements for the croutons because you can make as many as you’d like! (I recommend making more than you think you’ll need simply because you’ll be snacking on them right off the pan)