Vegetable Grain Casserole
VEGETABLE GRAIN CASSEROLE
Some days, I need all the help I can get. My daughter is almost 9 months old and is starting to go, go, go and so sometimes it’s hard for me to eat healthy and/or eat enough healthy foods. Que vegetable grain casserole. This casserole is so delicious with a ton of different kinds of veggies and it’s good for ya too. A few weeks back, we were visiting my grandma and she made this for us for dinner and I fell in love. She has been making this dish for over 20 years and she still loves it.
Vegetable grain casserole is just that: vegetables and grains baked to perfection with vegetable broth and seasonings. I love this dish because of its versatility. It’s great as a side dish for fish or chicken. It works well as a whole meal because it’s packed with barley and lentils which both provide essential vitamins and minerals and leave you feeling full without over indulging. This dish works great in meal prep bowls. It makes a lot, so it’s easily dividable and reheats well.
You can use whatever kind of veggies you like in this dish. I like using a nice variety for maximum flavor but you can choose to only use a few kinds if you want.
- If you don’t like either barley or lentils you can use all of one kind. You could also substitute for brown rice, wild rice or quinoa.
- You can add whatever kinds of seasonings you want. You can make is spicy and add jalapenos and spicy seasonings. My husband likes to add hot sauce to his. It’s all about what you like.
This dish would also work with chicken in it. Just cut chicken into small pieces, cook in a frying pan and toss in with the veggies and grains and bake as usual. Adding chicken would make for easy meal prep bowls because your veggies and chicken are all in one dish. Just spoon into containers and go!
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup pearled barley
- ½ cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ TSP seasoning salt
- ½ TSP dried basil
- ½ TSP smoked paprika
- ½ TSP pepper
- Salt, taste and add salt if necessary at the end
- Combine all ingredients in a 2 or 3-quart casserole dish. The size will depend on how much casserole you have. I had to use a 3-quart casserole dish because my celery and carrots were on the bigger side. You can also mix everything in a large bowl first, then transfer to the casserole dish.
- Cover and bake @ 350 for 1 hour, stirring half way through.
- Let it stand for 5-10 min after you take it out of the oven.
You can also add cheese to the top of the casserole. With 5 minutes left, take the lid off, sprinkle cheese on top and bake for the remaining 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.